Friday, September 14, 2018

Fourth Grade

Good Lord, it's been one year! Every time I think I'm going to be better about posting I'm not.  But life is busy! The girls are all at a new school this year, our public one, and it's going very well.  It's going so much better, in fact, that I can't stand it, almost! Veronica has a male teacher, he's super cute, it's his first year teaching.  He was a student teacher in the gifted and talented classroom last year, I feel like he is a perfect fit for Veronica.  New teachers never bother me, I love them.  I guess maybe a new surgeon I wouldn't be too into but a new teacher is just great, they are young, they are excited, they are up on the freshest ideas, I love them.  And also, he is super cute, have I mentioned? Ha!

She is doing very well in school.  I went and volunteered at her Field Day this week, she doesn't love the cardio, for sure, BUT she did everything.  She has been walking the dog every day, by herself, she doesn't want me to go with her, which is FINE BY ME. 

She has moved on through the Harry Potter series by herself, without us.  Mike has been buying her these cool cover books at Costco, when you line them up against each other they make a whole picture? I feel like I'm not describing it well.  She is ever the reader, we just got her mid term grades (in the second week of September, what the heck?) and she is doing well in everything, her lowest grade is A-, in Science. 

On school starting so early, what the hell? Their first day was August 1, they have a week off for Fall Break in early October, two weeks off for Christmas/Hannukah, a week off for spring break, and get out in late May.  I was just having a discussion on Facebook with some friends, because Georgia is trying to get a law passed so that they can't start until after Labor Day.  Another friend said that in Maryland, where she lives, they never start until after Labor Day because they count on money from tourism and beach business through the SUMMER.  I said I thought that would work out okay because we went 180 days a year when I was in school and it was FINE.  I remember one year that we went until June 30, because we had so many snow days that year (I think it was 1978), and that was really late.  I think we normally went into the second week of June and then SUMMER started, like with the calendar.  One friend said that the department of education should decide when students go to school, it shouldn't be decided by travel and tourism and I ... disagree.  Apparently it is a problem because students have to take exams AFTER Christmas Break and ... I mean ... who cares? I just never understand all this revinventing of the wheel that we do.  Summer is summer and fall is fall, we are not changing the SEASONS now, are we? Anyway it drives me crazy but there is NO use fighting City Hall on it, I'm just going with it and inwardly seething.  And sometimes outwardly, I guess, ha ha!

She has a friend in our neighborhood now, one who is her age, which is so nice.  Her friend lives right down the street, on the same side of the street, it's super convenient and it just feels good, for them to live in the neighborhood where everyone goes to school.  I can't believe how few regrets I have about moving them to a new school. 

She is going on an overnight trip later this month, to a YMCA camp about an hour away.  Mike is going with them, apparently they always need dads to go, because of course as usual, it's moms who do all the volunteering.  She's excited and I am too, I think it will be great. 

Okay, well, you're up to date, I hope to be better about this in future but no promises. 


No comments: